Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"What's the Portebella of your argument?" or My idea to be the Next Foodnetwork Star (C): Vicarious Living, a Day in the Life of a Prep Cook

Hello faithful readers!

Welcome back to Vicarious Living, my own reality blog show. In this episode, follow me through dinner with the head chef, adventures with desserts, and more delicious food, as I work (and eat!) my way through one Modern Asian Bistro's menu.

My Writing 101 professor at PLU was a vegetarian. She would often ask what the meat of our argument was. Then we reminded her that she probably doesn't have meat to her argument, but rather veggies of some sort. She decided that since she liked Portebella burgers. There you go. I was slicing mushrooms today and was reminded of that. Funny. To me at least.

In the next few days or weeks, I will hopefully be covering the following:
-New spices
-Experimenting with donuts
-Asian currys and Latino moles (basically the same throughout the respective cultures, but vary on recipe/cook/region/etc...)
-My favorite color of today: Red. Curry Red. (Bond. James Bond. Well, I think I'm clever...)
-Andy is to Billy as Kevin is to Kendall
-Moon Cake, with an egg yolk baked into the middle!
-Things that my boss said were beautiful: salmon cakes, corn fritter batter, dumplings, sliced mushrooms (Oh, and by the way, don't wash mushrooms with water. Rather, wipe them clean with a clean towel.)
-Whatever else comes to mind.

Often when my shift ends in the evenings, my boss makes me dinner. Tonight I had Beef Panaeng, a delicious beef dish made with the red curry. Yum! Since it was a slow evening, after cooking for me, he came and sat down to join me. We chatted, told a couple stories, and I told him about my favorite Mexican restaurant near campus. Fun times.

I messed up two batches of Creme Caramels this week. But it's all okay now. And I made the Passion Fruit Curl that goes along with the donuts. Fun. Oh, by the way, a curl, in this sense, is uncooked custard. Crazy.

Food is good. And food with friends and family is even better. I think you'd agree. Until next time, this is Vicarious Living, with Kendall your new, learning, hungry Prep Cook.

-K.

3 comments:

A day in the life of Isaiah and Julia said...

When are you working this week? Do you know your schedule for next week? We want to stop by and have dinner.
Michelle

Shultz Family said...

I think you should try out for the next food network star. I love that show, I am a reality tv junky. You need to post some pictures for your friends and family that are far away so we can see the joint and some of what you get to do.

Anonymous said...

Wait! You make Moon Cakes? Are they on the menu yet? Can I have one? Pretty please with sugar and honey on top? I've always wondered what a Moon Cake tasted like. ILY.