Monday, August 11, 2008

Opening Week at TR

For those who don't know, I've recently started working at a brand new restaurant in Everett. It is a modern Asian Bistro, meaning we have cuisine inspired from all parts of Asia, with traditional Asian flavors and some European influence as well. The restaurant is owned by a Chinese family, with a head chef from Thailand, a Sous Chef adopted from Korea, and a prep cook born and raised in Lynnwood, Washington. That would be me.

The M family, the owners, all speak Chinese, as does Head Chef J. The Sous Chef, D, catches on to the Chinese language pretty quickly. I speak Spanish and Point-ese. It's a good situation.

So what's it like, working in a restaurant? Especially a new restaurant that opened less than a week ago. Terrifing. Gratifying. Stressful. Educational. Foreign. Delicious.

For the last year or so I've had my heart set on going to Culinary School. Didn't happen. Instead, I'm a current student of the Culinary School of Hardknocks, Everett campus.

Today I was taught how to disassemble a chicken. And how to debone a salmon filet. And how to pan roast a pork tenderloin. And how to make 5 gallons of the house sauce. And how to make gnocchi from scratch. Will I use this newly acquired knowledge in 40 years? Maybe. If not, I suppose that'll be okay too.

For now, know this: I love food. I love community. Some of my favorite communities often organize around food, or at least include food. Food can facilitate discussion. Food can teach, can invite, can inspire, and can humble. This is what I get for blogging late(ish) at night after almost 11 hours in a restaurant.

More to follow. This blog is meant to keep you updated, and to help me remember. Enjoy.

In the spirit of trying new things,

K.

2 comments:

Sar said...

Kendal,
Congrats on your endeavors! It's amazing that you got such a great job that you love right after graduation! I'm proud of you! I live in Texas now, but next time I'm in Washington, I will most definitely have to stop by! Congrats again!
-Sarah Lake

Anonymous said...

"Point-ese." Good one. :)